Friday, November 23, 2012

Human Performance Technology


Chapter 14
In my line of work, a performance problem that I have an issue with is poor team input in core meetings. Teachers do not bring anything to the table. The team members usually show up to the meeting with a blank note pad and leave with that same blank pad. Performance is defined as the ends or results to which purposeful means are directed. The desired outcome of a core meeting is instructional improvement through collaboration. A non-instructional solution would be to create a form that each teacher would complete prior to arriving at the meeting. The form would allow teachers to brain storm and come up with ideas and suggestions without feeling “on the spot.”

 
Chapter 15
A performance support system is a combination of resources and tools to facilitate to cause or improve performance. I believe that team meeting input would be benefitted with the use of a performance support system. The textbook author describes the D4M2 model. It is extensive but I think on a simple level it could be incorporated into use for the team meeting issue. In the define phase, a simple survey would suffice to get team members thoughts on their failure to contribute and also an idea of what supports they needed in order to be more forthcoming in the team collaboration efforts. The design phase would be a product of the information garnered from the surveys. The develop phase would consist of creating the form and perhaps having a few teachers complete it anonymously to see if it was easy to understand and use. I would present the form in a staff meeting for the deliver phase during which questions can be asked and examples shown.

 
Chapter 16
Knowledge of state standards and district scope and sequence are needed to help with the issue above. When teachers are not sure of what it is they are to do and when to do so, they are confused and not willing to offer suggestions about the process. In my experience, I often overhear other teachers’ complaints (similar to my own) about the standardized assessments, data collection, poor student performance and other instructional issues. A lot of the issues stem from confusion. Administrators who have gotten out of touch with the classroom make changes that make no sense to the classroom teacher.

This knowledge would need to be cohesively provided by administrators and in a manner that was understandable. It would also be beneficial if major changes to this information were done at times that were more advantageous and convenient. I am a substitute teacher. I usually have long term assignments rotating between two elementary schools in a small town district so I am very familiar with the practices there. I attend most meetings and am privy to most of the same things as the teacher of record. One thing that I would like to see is a common place to find necessary information.


Chapter 17

As a substitute teacher, I have the opportunity to visit several classrooms and see how different teachers approach the same challenges. I see what works and what does not. I make note of things that I would incorporate into my classroom. I take pictures of inspirational items and jot down any ideas that come to me as a result of being in someone’s “position” temporarily. One year, a veteran teacher was in the class next door during a three month assignment. Over the course of my stay, we brainstormed together often. Oddly enough, she asked me more questions than I. She took my advice a few times on how I dealt with certain things in the class. I once stated, “I’m the newbie! I need your help!” She replied that I have a new outlook on things she has tended to do the same way, year after year.

The knowledge I have gained could be codified and managed. I have it cataloged on my computer under Educational Ideas. It could be broadened and replicated as I believe others could have an idea bank just as extensive as mine. One teacher may have a how-to question and something another teacher has done may spark an idea to solve their problem.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of having teachers fill out a form before a core meeting (or any meeting for that matter). As bad as I hate to admit it, I am the same one that brings a blank note pad and leaves with a blank notepad! It is usually because the majority of our meetings take place at the end of the day and I am tired and ready to go home. I think that some sort of form would be great because I do want the meetings that I attend to be valuable for everyone involved. A simple form would help me gather my thoughts and help keep the collaboration flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had the opportunity of forms provided as well as the blank notepad-in-meeting as well. Our district now requires that we complete a form at each CORE meeting; similar to an agenda. Believe me, it keeps you on task, is efficient and everyone signs and receives a copy from the team leader or department chair. The problem occurs when teachers feel a need to contribute simply because contribution is mandatory. I addition, we also select and target an academic area, and in some cases a concept, for a cooperative learning project as a team. Everyone comes up with a creative lesson to reinforce not only the target concept, but how information learned in all classes coincide. The survey and brainstorming you discussed would be a great place to plan and include team projects as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Youshonda, I like your idea of sharing with others. I really like that you said you keep it on your computer. This would make it easier to codify and share. I am the teacher who has 500 sticky notes on everything that is on my desk, including my computer! My desk and generally my area of the room looks disastrous, but I know where everything is and can find it in the piles surrounding me. I firmly believe that I am ADD and it has affected the way I organize my things. This makes me look unorganized but there is a rhyme and reason to it all. What do you think about having a discussion forum for the school and different topics to organize the ideas by their relations to each other. This might make things easier to find for others.

    ReplyDelete