Sunday, November 11, 2012

Defining the Field: Week One


For starters, I have referred to the field as educational technology throughout my brief teaching career. It never clicked, even with taking courses titled Instructional Technology, that educational technology was an out of date term. The AECT definition changed my perspective on several levels. One thing that really stood out was the use of the word ethical. On reading how this term focuses on the use of technology to facilitate learning. I thought back to my grade school experiences wherein the teacher would pop in a film that had no relevance to what we were studying that week. We did not discuss it afterwards so it had no educational value. Now, the standards are very structured. In my district, we cannot just pop on a movie without it being a part of the lesson plan. This is where the term facilitate comes into play. Educational technology is generally thought of as the use of technology to facilitate learning along with the various technological resources and materials available. However, I feel that it is all in how that multitude of resources is used that makes it what it is.
 
 
During a long term assignment in second grade, I did a unit on the water cycle. It only adhered to one of the six characteristics of instructional design. The unit was goal oriented as I aligned the lesson completely around the TEKS. I would have made it more student-centered by letting the students explore more. I could accomplish this by allowing them to taste, smell, touch and maneuver the water. To exhibit a meaningful performance, I would require students to recreate a model of the water cycle and be able to successfully present it to their peers. I would use a rubric. I would allow them to work in groups to support the team effort concept.
 
I strongly consider teachers, chalkboards and textbooks instructional media as these are also means in which knowledge and information is communicated. They just are not plugged into an electrical source. The purpose of instructional design is to incorporate media into instruction by creating interest, manipulating the learning climate and persuading acceptance of lesson ideas.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Youshonda,
    I, too, remember my teaching popping in the random film strip during my elementary years. But I also remember my high school literature teacher strategically using clips to highlight particular literary elements of a story or as points for starting a group discussion. The listing of all of the different definitions and the evolution of instructional technology definitely got me to thinking more deeply about what I do and how I use media.

    Your post also made me think about teachers and the implementation of technology. Technology is our emphasis and our chosen course of graduate school study and we didn't truly understand the definition of instructional/educational technology until now. I wonder what the level of expertise for effectively incorporating instructional technology is for the average teacher? With this huge focus on technology, I think our first assignment is revealing to me that I and my fellow teachers need more professional development to maximize the impact of technology in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youshonda,
    I know you are happy to finally read section 1 and 2. :)
    I can relate with you and Toni about teachers popping in movies that have no educational value to the lesson what so ever. To be honest, I think it stills happens in a lot of elementarty schools today.
    I also agree with you that teachers,chalkboards and textbooks should be included in instructional media. I'm still on the fence about would I call chalboards and textbooks instructional technology? I think you bring a good point out about instructional design. I really like what you wrote here " The purpose of instructional design is to incorporate media into instruction by creating interest, manipulating the learning climate and persuading acceptance of lesson ideas." I think you summed it up very well.
    Ro

    ReplyDelete