Thursday, December 13, 2012

New Directions in Instructional Design and Technology


Distributed Learning or e-Learning Environments:
According to the authors, distributed learning is any educational or training experience that uses a variety of means, including technology, to enable learning. It can provide for intentional and incidental learning outcomes and may be separated by time, distance, or both. Distributed learning includes, but is not limited to distance learning and online learning and can take many forms. In my classroom distance learning will include podcasts, video lectures, webquests and wikis. As a classroom teacher, I also see the use of distributed learning as a support tool for other teachers in the form of informal training, collaborations and planning opportunities.  
 

Reusable Design or Learning Objects:
Reusability is defined as the ability to use the resource multiple times in multiple ways and in multiple contexts. Reusability also encompasses the ability of developers to use a resource as a building block in their own work. One way I intend to use reusable design is to create my own website and post my own content to link to for lesson purposes. I will make my own short videos and podcasts to enhance my classroom presentations. I could update and enhance my materials as needed.
 
Learning objects are individual components of learning materials that can be aggregated or disaggregated to form instructional units of varying size. I see this manifesting itself in my classroom in the form of thematic units that can be used as a whole or in part as well as being used in across the disciplines.

Rich Media:
Rich media is defined as learning products that incorporate high-end media such as video animation, sound, and simulation. I currently use some rich media but I can expect to use it much more in the future.

For instance, I use powerpoints quite often but I have been experimenting with adding video such as podcasts, virtual tours and other interactive material to make the lesson more engaging and the learning more meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment